Tuesday, October 17, 2006

402 - The End Of A Great Thing

Yesterday we had our last class with Richard Thomas who teaches 402. It is the end of something special. With the advent of the newly minted Masters Program, 402 is no more. But we milked it for all it was worth yesterday, peer reviewing rewrites of narration for a film about dog sled racing called Yukon Quest, in addition to hearing Richard's words of wisdom on thought tracks and how to handle interviews.
What resonated with me though, was the last video clip Richard showed. It was from a film he made on factory workers. You can see a character from the film on the screen behind us in the photo. Richard expressed this film as typical of his signature: "I care about other folk who've had it rough. That's the kind of film I care to make." He urged us to make films about what moves us. I firmly believe that 402's legacy rides on the wake of some very passionate filmmakers, pictured above. Thank you, Richard, for sharing your toolkit so graciously with us.

4 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger About Me: said...

dear god what has happened my hair...right thats it im not waiting till my brother brings my hair straightener - im buying one tomorrow!!!god im awful...urgh. everyone else looks great though! :-D

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Kat Baulu said...

Okay Sarah, for a pretty Irish girl who as Alastair puts it, "eats up the camera" you are not allowed to complain... :)

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Mark Orton said...

Sorry Sarah, but you only have to worry about your hair, my face looks like a slapped arse! I will get my lawyer onto this, I can't have unsolicited photos being published that make me look so bad.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Kat Baulu said...

Umm, Mark, you are in no position to complain, being one of Dunedin's most sought after top models...why is it that the people who get the lion's share of looks are always so hard on themselves? Maybe perfection is a great burden after all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home