Saturday, October 07, 2006

Teuthowenia!!!





I was walking along Tomahawk beach at 10.30 am today and I was lucky to find a real (dead) Teuthowenia! It could be Teuthowenia, but it may also be one of the closely
related cranchiids (there's lot of them and they all look similar when
small). Ever since I saw Peter Batson's photo of this deep sea creature in his book Explore The Abyss it has captured my imagination. I wish I could make a film about this squid - quite impossible, but still it's fun to dream!
My snapshots are nothing compared to Peter's but I thought I'd have fun and show you how tiny this creature is: it is sitting in a mussel shell in the last picture. It fits into a tablespoon, and I shot it in a tranparent teacup. I was only able to manipulate it for a short while after the beach before it started to disintigrate, it's ink staining everything. It is such a fragile, beautiful little animal! One of the parts I like about it is the spots all over, like a tiny leopard. These only became very apparent when I moved it from salt water to tap water, usually it looks quite translucent. It shrank a bit when I put it into the tap water, like it was being pickled or something. Teuthowenia looks like a creature from another planet to me.

8 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jinty said...

Wow hon, that's quite a find! I've never spotted one of those whilst beachcombing, and how long have I been around our Southern shores? (Long time).
It is beautiful, and if it looks beautiful in a teaspoon, I'd love to see it underwater...!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Kat Baulu said...

Sweet, eh? Did you see Peter Batson's photo, it is MARVELLOUS. I'd be over the moon if I saw it in the ocean too!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Bojun Bjorkman-Chiswell said...

what an utterly beautiful creature!
i was just thinking the other day that all that when you take to the time to sit and watch and listen to them, the animals on this blue planet of ours are endlessly inspiring.

I look forward to the update on the film

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Kat Baulu said...

I agree completely Bojun!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger afirmatron said...

why i ask Why not a film on them?????

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Kat Baulu said...

Well, as Richard our story god would say, Where's the Stooooory? :)

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger penguinworld said...

Wow Kat..greta photos and interestingh insight into you and the creature!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Kat Baulu said...

Perhaps I'll be reincarnated as a Teuthowenia in the future...as long as I don't wash up on a beach it will be a happy life! Thanks for your feedback :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home