Saturday, October 28, 2006

Meet Craig Watson, The Sound Magician


Master Craig Watson at the controls

"You want me to do what?!"

Glorious ProTools

Maybe if we just try a little of this...


...and a little of this...


Alastair and Donna (Alastair's adorable wife) gaze in awe

When you walk into the sound suite at NHNZ, there's a pretty magic wand near the equipment. It looks like the stray prop of a 5-year old girl's halloween costume. Craig says he sometimes has to humour prickly producers with it. When they come in asking for audio miracles, he says, 'OK, just hand me that magic wand over there , please." That being said, is there anything Craig can't do? I think not.
I've been meaning to blog about Craig Watson, Sound Recordist/Designer at NHNZ, for a wee bit, but with the end of our first semester and all the pressure to find a film, I was waylaid. Here's the thing, Craig is brilliant. For example, he was recently nominated for an Emmy for Buggin' with Ruud.
So when Alastair and I were working on an assignment called 'Vulture Culture'a few weeks ago, and we had to create a film narration, Craig immediately came to mind. What we wanted to do was convert my voice to something that sounded like a vulture talking, kind of DMXish, rough and street.
Craig came to the rescue. Using ProTools and a great deal of creativity, he rendered my voice unrecognizable! And very vultury. Thanks Craig, you are a legend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home